Forms of hosting services
A hosting service refers to stashing and/or sharing specific web content on a web server managed by a web hosting supplier. There are various classes of hosting services used for various aims, so let's examine these. Thus, you can determine what you want, depending on whether you desire to build a web page, mail addresses, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by particular vendors, which allows you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php website files in your browser. Free file hosting accounts frequently involve ads beside the download links, while a timer forces you to await a given period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely inapt interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would divide the load between different hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various web space hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a brand of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; some distributors offer a hosting service for images solely. This hosting kind is suitable if you wish to share a big amount of pictures with comrades or colleagues since the service is usually free of charge. You will get a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to handling your e-mail aliases. Some vendors offer web page hosting services for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you would like to open an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can open email accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and several hundred web site visitors, you may have a problem with your web space hosting quotas. Embedding the video will allow you to own as many video clips as you want without hassling about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to keep a website. To some extent, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and e-mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At LinuxSolutions, for example, you can examine web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that allow you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limits based on the sort of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web space hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the typical email/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for specific web content solely.